Sunday, July 15, 2007

A reptilian visitor to my worm box

This little critter is in my worm box, probably enjoying the safety, the dark, the moisture, and the endless buffet of bugs and other goodies. Anyone know what it is? Or even which reference took I should consult?

It's about ten centimeters from nose to tail, a bit grayer than this photo indicates (the flash was necessary since the box is under a deck, made of black plastic, and its floor is covered with worm "castings").

I have seen similar reptiles in my worm box in past years, but this is the first time I took a photo.

Salamander? Skink? Newt?





Random link from the archive: Eggplant Curry

Technorati tags: reptiles : worms : gardens

5 comments:

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

Post it on Flickr, in the Bay Nature Group and I'll bet you get an answer, licketty split!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/baynature/

Mimi said...

Definately a salamander but which one? I did a search on google and he looks similar to many kinds but not really the same...

Elizabeth said...

I can't see the eyes, but my guess would be a yellow-eyed ensatina (Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica). Check out the truly excellent http://www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/salamanders.html
for pictures and details

Elizabeth said...

The rest of that address is /salamanders.html

Kung Foodie Kat said...

Berkeley is notorious for salamanders, there are parts of Tilden that close in the Winter as streams of salamanders migrate through the park.