Saturday, January 19, 2008

An orange for pie chart lovers

The food industry is always trying to create products that appeal to various personalities. One of my work colleagues brought this orange for lunch the other day. Looks to me like it was created for someone who loves to make pie charts.


I'm not familiar enough with fruit science to know why the skin has two different hues. Temperature? Exposure to light? Contact with oxygen?



Random link from the archive: Ancient Folktales above a Los Angeles Street

Technorati tags: Fruit : Food

2 comments:

Jan Scholl said...

I just spent an hour trying to find out something but I kept getting hits for human skin of orange color (liver problems) but the best I could tell you is that the fruit had abnormal ripening. and with the addition of the dyes normally added before selling, this part absorbed more of the color.

did it taste good? I cant eat citris but love the smells of them.

Catherine said...

poor orange! do they really dye the oranges? what a sad thing.